TechHive: Viper Home Starter Kit review: It's the software, stupid

TechHive
TechHive helps you find your tech sweet spot. We guide you to products you'll love and show you how to get the most out of them. 
Compare Hotels

Find great prices for amazing hotels wherever your next destination may be. It's simple to search 100+ sites at once!
From our sponsors
thumbnail Viper Home Starter Kit review: It's the software, stupid
Dec 23rd 2013, 22:31, by Amber Bouman

Jealousy. Cranky, burning jealousy is how a lot of home automation products make me feel. I'm sure the Nest thermostat is a neat device to use…if you have a thermostat, which I very much do not. Likewise, I'd love to test out the Goji Smart Lock next year, but my Luddite boyfriend is still rocking a feature phone, which rules that out too.

So I was excited to set up Viper's Home Starter Kit even if just to see how successfully I could automate the security of a mostly analog house built in 1908. And after nearly four weeks of testing, over 4000 words and 12 pages of notes on all the tinkering and testing, I had the Viper Home Starter Kit running exactly as I wanted. Here's the nitty gritty on what was good, what was frustrating, and what was confusing.

viper home starter kit v2

The four-piece Home Starter Kit.

The hardware

Viper claims its Home Starter Kit can be set up in about 15 minutes, and on the hardware side, I found that to be true. The Home Starter Kit consists of the Smart Hub, one Motion Detector, and one two-piece Magnetic Door/Window Sensor. I additionally had an Indoor Siren ($49.99), a Wireless Camera/Motion Detector ($149.99), and another Magnetic/Door Window Sensor set ($24.99). Viper also sells a Remote Control Key Fob, which comes in particularly handy if someone in your house doesn't have a smartphone.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Previous
Next Post »